Sunday, August 9, 2009

Practicing Being Creative

While I was writing up an email to a good friend last Friday, I have discovered some additional things about my writing endeavour that I decided to post part of it here.

Though I've been into writing for years now, but STOS was and is my first "substantial" project. The last few years, I wrote bits and pieces of unfinished draft with no particular focus or theme. Probably what has been happening was that I was practicing "to be creative". Note here, I'm talking about practicing being creative, NOT practicing writing.

I've always enjoyed writing. But most of them are like writing down what's happening in my life and my respond to it, i.e. personal journal. It's only til I started university I began to write stories. Writing stories is totally different to personal journal. With personal journal, the writing is easy and there are no rules or structure you need to follow. After all you just write down what you're feeling or seeing etc.


But with story writing, hence called creative writing, the writer is required to come up with characters, settings, plots etc. This also means that the writer is required to use h/her imagination to create stories. That is what I called "practicing being creative".

From all those years of learning and practicing to be creative, I was ready for a "real" project. It's only now, after writing STOS for 5 months and from blogging about that experience, I realized all of these. I'm not sure if I should laugh or cry or both! But I'm glad I have come to this realization.

Fellow creatives, do you think I'm making any sense of above?

5 comments:

WrightStuff said...

Very true my friend. I find though that I am using blogging as an excuse to 'practice' and never get around to actually writing my fantasy novel! After all, there is only so much practicing you can do before you have to just get on with it!! So, thanks for the gentle reminder!

miruspeg said...

Isn't it wonderful when we have one of those 'light bulb moments'.

This post made complete sense to me. It was a fantastic realisation.
Our journey is different for each of us and you my friend are travelling very nicely along your road.
Hugs
Peggy

Leone said...

Thanks for stopping by and for your kind comments. I have made a list and started on it tonight, so hopefully I will stay motivated.

All those practices probably hold some very good material. Often what we think is practice is good stuff. So don't be too quick to dismiss it.

Good luck with moving forward.

Angie said...

Sure you are making sense, you have realised that you have been doing that "reall" project all along whilst practising creating!
Great to see !
It makes me happy to see that another creative has seen their own light and wonderfulness. :)

Hybrid J said...

Hi Lisa,

No worries to remind fellow writer gently! ;)

Hi Peggy,

Thanks for the support and I looove to have more of these light bulb moment. :)

Hi Leone,

You're right about not to dismiss any one of our effort. Big works are an accumulation of small works! Thanks always for your wise words. :)

Hi Angie,

So well said about the light and wonderfulness. It's always nice to hear from you! ;)