Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Jake

"Jake", ink on paper, 30 cm (H) x 21cm (W)

Mist and petals dance around the Horned One ...
He forbids me to go into the woods ...

But his sweet voice lingers in my ears ...



Years and years ago, before my big discovery that I could draw, I bought two artist mannequins. (The one you could get from most art supplies stores.) One male and one female. They were about 30cm in height.

Well, this might sound strange and weird to you. But in the hands of a little nutter like me, the mannequins became something else.

I talk to them lots of time, especially if I have a bad day in the office. I would pretend they are either my most sympathetic friends who listen endlessly to my pathetic complaints, or h/she is my boss and I'll argue with h/her until h/she agrees with my proposal. Oh, yes, at times, it gets a bit physical. I'll keep "adjusting" their limbs til my steam is all gone.


At one stage, I thought about painting them with colors. But knowing myself, I would get bored with things quite easily. And as soon as I got sick and tired of something (mostly objects, not real people), I either give them away or leave them on the shelf to gather dust. I decided against it and leave them "nude" all these years.


Over Easter break, while I was moaning my personal issues to them, I found myself looking at them in a new way (an artist way!?) It then dawned on me they could be the subjects of my drawing! I think they have potentials to become a major art project for the year. I've already got a few ideas spinning in my tiny head. But then, this also depends on how my drawing skill is going to improve over time. But hey, no try no gain! We'll see.


AND my little mannequins not only become a painting, they lure the sleepy writer out of me. I spent last night thinking about Jake and his story. Nothing major, nothing big ... but I had a blast!


My dear fellow creatives and bloggers, what do you think of Jake?

10 comments:

Sandy Coleman said...

Absolutely hilarious! How imaginative you are! Can't wait to see what develops. I love this one already.

Rowena said...

I love that little Jake. The horned man is such a wonderful image.

Cameron Reutzel said...

Hmmmm........Hybrid Jake? Curiouser and curiouser...lol

Hope you're well, J! Just wanted to stop by and see how you're doing :)

Sunflower Design said...

I love Jake and I think you will have a lot of creative adventures with a series of mannequin art. I gave my daughter, a university student on her first year alone, a mannequin to draw and keep her company during the year :-)

Leone said...

You always make me smile. I love Jake and the story that goes along with him. What a great companion. A little like Shirley Valentine talking to the wall but Jake is more like a person. Great way to get out your feelings and work through stuff.

linda said...

Your drawing is fantastic!!! You are so talented!

Amy said...

I love it! The wooden mannequin is standing so proudly next to his other identity brought to life by you!

dandelionlady said...

So fun! I love your poem to go with your horned one.

organicsyes said...

I love this story! Reminds me of another story that is dear to my heart: http://www.oldrussia.net/vas.html

Enjoy:)
Susan

miruspeg said...

What an absolute hoot you are Hybrid!
Loved your story and your drawing.

Hopefully we will see/read more about Jake in the near future.

Hugs
Peggy xxxx