Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Sketchbook Delight - Alisa Burke

Wow, it's been a month since my last post!!  Sorry for missing that long ...

More personal mishaps had occurred but as trying as they were, I was able to sort them out.  Not that everything is back to normal, but I'm getting there.  So I think it's about time I get back to a bit of blogging. ;)

Now let's see, over the last 2 weeks, I've been catching up with Alisa Burke's 2 online classes:  Sketchbook Delight and Color Your World.

Before I start talking about the courses, I'll share some of my observation about Alisa.

I admire and respect her greatly as a self-employed Artist.  She is passionate and dedicated to her art and art business.  She possesses sound and solid art skills.  I found her to be a warm and grounded person.  But most of all, I learn, from reading her blog entries, about her work ethics and attitude to her art.

What got me to enroll to the sketchbook class was Alisa' strong belief in drawing / sketching as a MUST for all artist (regardless of medium) and it needs to be worked on consistently. (Pls refer to her original statement here.)

I've known about the above since I first began to draw 1 1/2 years ago.  However, I haven't acquired the skills and perhaps more importantly, the motivation to draw / sketch on a regular basis.

From the sketch book course, Alisa taught me some basics but effective skills to practice drawing / sketch.  She also motivated me to incorporate drawing / sketching into my daily creative routine.  Watching her working from start to finish on one of her sketch pages, she made me believe that I could do the same.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that after the course, I'll be able to produce tonnes of beautiful sketch work and thus becoming an Artist.  What I'm saying is that Alisa shows me that it is POSSIBLE for me to be as consistent as she.  This is essential to me at this stage for my creative development.  Alisa managed to give me that "nudge" which I so needed.  THANK YOU, Alisa!

Overall, the course not only taught me some very useful drawing skills, it also offered me a kind of "structure" which I could adapt to my daily creative practice.

Well, I think it's about time for me to show you one of my sketch work from the course.  Here it is.









(Since I'm under the influence and inspiration of Alisa's work, you can see that my sketch is very close to her style. I can't help it! ;)  But I promise myself that with time and practice, I'm to develop my own sketch work.)

Gee, this turns out to be a lengthy post, I think I'll stop here for now.  I'll write about Alisa's color theory course and other creative matter next time.  Hopefully it won't be a long wait!

Have a wonderful week ahead, my dear fellow creatives and bloggers!

4 comments:

Cameron said...

Yay! This makes me sooo happy! I'm so glad to get a glimpse into what you've been up to ...and to hear that you are feeling quite positive about Art and your abilities with such :D

I don't think you need to put in the line about how after one class you won't be at her level...it's a given...but, it's also a limitation when said out loud...

Perhaps entertain the maybe's :)

Love you!
Cam

EVA said...

Hi J!

The video of Alisa doing that sketch in her sketchbook was very enlightening for me too. I always thought the pens came before the paints. It is much easier to do it the other way around. My latest sketchbook (Mexican Sketchbook) is heavily inspired by her as well.

So the courses were good? Your feathers are great!

Don't lose your own style though! I loved those starfish!

Are you wanting to paint more too? Or just sketch? If paint too - join us for Will you join us for Paint Party Friday starting this week? http://paintpartyfriday.blogspot.com/


xo
EVA

Leone said...

Nice work but you don't give yourself nearly enought credit. you know how much I love your art. I visit Alisa's blog everyday and have been thinking of taking the courses. Maybe I will now!! Nice to hear from you again!!

gatheringwonder said...

love your style - looking forward to following you site