Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Jamie's Next Chapter - The Joy Diet by Martha Beck

I finally decided that I am to join in Jamie’s Next Chapter Book Blogging Group for The Joy Diet by Martha Beck.

Why I said I “finally decided” to join the activity?

Well, personal development as a cultural movement has been going on for a very long time. And just like any other persons, who want to better oneself, I have been reading this type of books for years. Perhaps I’ve been reading too many of them, the appeal started to diminish over the years. Also, I have troubles of getting through and stick with the program, hence could never rip the benefits which the books offered.

When Jamie announced the book title for The Next Chapter after “Wreck This Journal”, my immediate reaction: Nope, I’m not gonna do this again. (I don’t mean this particular book. I’m referring to the personal development program.) However, after these last few weeks checking the names of fellow bloggers who registered for the program, I began to have second thoughts.

Firstly, lots of ex-wreck stars have signed up for this one. If I join up, I’ll be “connecting” with them again.

Secondly, I’ve never worked on personal development with a group before. And it might be one of the reasons why I can’t finish one. With a leader like Jamie and the group, I might be able to finish it this time.

Thirdly, the usual benefits of joining group activities – making new friends, more fun, more energy etc.

I’m beginning to look forward the start of the program on 18/09!

(Hope my book arrives on time!)

9 comments:

Leone said...

I'm with you, I have read so many self-development books and tried to make myself *better* until I finally gave up and can't handle self-dev. books much now. I am doing the Artist's Way but it'a a little different from the others, however, I haven't stuck to the rules. I ordered The Joy Diet from the library, I had it once before, so I will check it out again but I doubt that I will do it. I guess I have reached the point in my life where I think "what you see is what you get."
I hope you enjoy the book and connecting with the others who are doing it. I really is a great way to connect with others. Take care.

WrightStuff said...

Yeah I'm totally with you there, but it was the fact that I actually finished Wreck this Journal with a group that made me feel sure that this time I'd get through and get something substantial from the programme. It's the support network and the "gosh you feel the same as me!" stuff that comes out which helps I think. I ordered the book but it is taking an age to arrive so I haven't had a chance to check it out yet but hope it is as good for as WTJ was - I wanna be a part of the Group again!

judipatootie said...

holding hands with you thru this journey, come sit by me.. i nee encouragement and I have snacks

Anonymous said...

Art is a monster that wont go away. It is never happy. You work your finger to the bone, the monster chides, but it is not work... you sould not have to try soo hard. It should come easy. I embarass myself in front of my friends and your monster says... friends should be more honest. Your work could be better. You spend real money and art says, it aint the dough that makes he art....

You shall never please your muse. She is a friend of the monster. She is its lover and she conspires against you. Yet she can smile so seductively.

that's what I think anyway.

Pamela said...

I'm taking the Joy Diet journey with you. I didn't finish Wreck This Journal either but have hopes that this time will be different. We can encourage each other. :)

Lisa said...

I'm doing it too ... I have similar feelings about self help books, but great faith in the community that Jamie creates.
I'm sitting with you and Judi and the snacks ;)

Kim said...

I overdosed on self-help books long ago,too, but I do enjoy Martha Beck's style AND I,too, thought it would be a great way to stay connected with the wrecking crew.

miruspeg said...

Good for you Hybrid. Working with a group is so much more rewarding and stimulating. And not to mention FUN.
I joined a Philosophy group 3 years ago and still very much look forward to our weekly meetings. The energy in the group is amazing.

You have journeyed a long way since I have first started reading your blog. I also believe you have blossomed beautifully. I am very impressed with your ability to follow your dream.

Thanks also for your very generous comments over at my blog. I loved your take on "Rules for being Human"....I live by my ASS (authenticity, simplicity and synchronicity).

Take care always.
Hugs
Peggy xxxx

Hybrid J said...

Hi Everyone,

This a such a wonderful community! Even before the Joy Diet started, we've already had some heart fetl sharing. Thank you for all the responses. And I'll be looking forward to you company in the upcoming journey! :)